Today, I plan to translate and transcribe a portion of one page from the parish register of the Trinity Lutheran Church in Douglas, Ward County, North Dakota. While going through some of the papers gathered by my late cousin, Ed Ostrom (1944-2015). Prior to his death, Ed had been my research buddy and he had done some inquiring with the church's historian in 2013.
In particular are the deaths entered into the register during 1934. In this small community, four individuals associated with the Lutheran church died that year. Of the four, three of them were people I had followed in my research. I thought this was a significant find that I wanted to share with you.
Trying to eliminate confusion, I have blurred entries made on this page during the years 1933 and 1935. I have written 1934 as translated. To highlight those entries where I am familiar with the name, I have used RED font. Within today's project, I have surrounded my comments with square brackets [ ].
![]() |
| IMAGE: Douglas (North Dakota) Trinity Lutheran Church, parish register, page 59, Burials for 1934. From the records collection of Edwin J. Ostrom. [1] |
-------- translation/transcription begins --------
[Columns represent - Name of the buried, death date, burial date, age, death location, birthplace, remarks.}
BURIALS
[page] 59
1934
1. John Ehlers Jan. 7, Jan. 10 57 Yrs Douglas Ohio.
2. Mrs. Caroline Afraham. Feb. 6 Feb. 9 83 " [yrs]
Douglas Germany non-m [non-member??]
3. Mrs. Nels Ostby 4/20 4/23 72 " [yrs] Douglas Norway
4. Dirwin Edwin Ostrom 12/9 12/11 1 month Douglas Ward Co.
-------- translation/transcription ends --------
Source:
1.) Trinity Lutheran Church Register, Douglas, Ward County, North Dakota page 59; photograph from Edwin J. Ostrom's collection, provided by church's treasurer via email on 16 May 2013.
The Douglas Trinity Lutheran Church is a member church of the Evangelical Lutheran in America. It was organized in April 1906 in the home of a member, Lewis Amundsen. Its first building was constructed in the summer of 1907. Then in 1916, a new church was built when the congregation outgrew its first building.
Notes:
1. John Ehlers - husband of Olina Ostrom Ehlers. Olina was sister to my great-grandmother Anna Ostrom Haner. From his death certificate, John died at the Trinity Hospital in Minot from undetermined causes. He had a history of ulcers of the stomach. No autopsy was performed.
2. not a familiar name
3. Mrs. Nels Ostby - birth name was Ragnild Fuglum, she was the great-grandmother of my Johnson/Jorgenson research cousin.
4. Dirwin Edwin Ostrom - this little guy was cousin Ed's sibling who was born with a heart defect causing blue-baby syndrome. Sadly, Dirwin only lived one month and he died at home.
I have yet to locate this particular set of church registers on the U.S. Evangelical Lutheran Church database on Ancestry.com, so it was fun to see a photograph of this record that Ed had received. I am thankful he contacted the folks from this small church who kindly sent him this family information.
Amanuensis Monday is a weekly blog theme that was started by John Newmark, the author of TransylvanianDutch blog. John defines Amanuensis as "a person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another." I also appreciate the good work and format examples of San Diego genealogist Randy Seaver of the blog Genea-musings. Thanks, guys.
Transcribing helps me to learn what a document contains. I have learned over time that I have a tendency to "skim" over an item; a bad trait for a researcher who needs to learn even the smallest details documented records contain. Transcribing helps me to slow down and "smell the roses," and to capture all aspects of the paper in hand. It also gives me a better opportunity to share the document with you.
Thanks for stopping by today. I hope you have a good day and a great week.
-- -- --
The URL for this post is https://homefolktales.blogspot.com/2018/05/amanuensis-monday-douglas-nd-trinity.html
Please comment regarding this post on the website by clicking the URL above and then use the "Comments" link at the bottom of each post. Or contact me by email at dsteff4246[at]gmail[dot]com. Thank you.
Copyright (c) 2018, Darlene M. Steffens

No comments:
Post a Comment